Sunday, January 06, 2008

2007 review

Seems it might be a good idea to just review and reflect on the year gone by. Here's a lighter take on 2007 - a year of heart (break/burn/ache...)

1. Physical injuries
Amazingly for a guy baptised with the "spirit of klutz" by Andy back in '06 (after spraining an ankle playing guitar at a youth service, and nearly decapitating him whilst ice skating), yours truly ran through the year miraculously avoiding any serious injuries - aside from several small knocks here and there, and many cramps sustained playing football. I even managed (for a glorious 2 weeks =P) to be rated the #1 most athletic person in my Facebook network... Having said that, I did manage to get a serious case of conjunctivitis at a rather inconvenient time (right before a catering engagement).
update: I sprained my ankle warming up to play squash with my brother last week...

2. Food-related injur
ies
I'm guessing that for persons of Malaysian descent, these kinds of injuries merit a category of their own. Highlights include managing to avoid most of dad's cooking (by keeping on the right side of mum) and managing to get gastro in... of all places... Singapore. However, as the pictures above show, that didn't stop my family and I from indulging almost excessively on our recent trip back (that's a scoop of durian ice-cream on the top of that ice kacang btw). The food was great. I mean, I thought I didn't miss it that much, but when I took that first bite... there may be a few things wrong with Malaysia, but the food nearly makes up for it =P. I haven't seen my dad grin that broadly over food since he won the church golf tournament.

3. Most interesting thing i learnt this year:
Crossfire Catering forced me to revisit some long-held notions of mine. Firstly, I have to admit that it is sometimes more fun to cook than to eat. This may be heresy to some but the challenge of raising some funds for camp was actually one of the best experiences of my life so far. It all started with an innocent suggestion from my mum and aunt that I could perhaps raise funds by cooking. One short discussion with Michie, and Crossfire Catering was born.

So with help from my Yr 12 French teacher (for giving me a French cookbook as a prize back in high school), Michelle and I managed to come out with a menu, with her handling presentation (guys are generally hopeless at this) and desserts (her profiteroles are excellent), and I handling the mains and sauces. We learnt how to cook salmon, fry steaks (cheers to Marky the chef for some handy tips), and make sauces. I also doubled up as the driver, which sounds easy, but try taking corners in a hurry with full pans on people's laps etc etc... it was the J-life version of Initial D, except I had to worry about an empty tank, traffic, being late, and speed cameras. Michelle had to worry about not getting killed =P

Actually, we were pretty good at the whole cooking thing at the end of the 7 dinners (altogether i think we may have catered for about 60-70 people)... aside from some small incidents. Also, we had lots of help from other J-lifers in the cooking, and waitering etc. Atm, I'm planning next year's menu =P. Overall, learning to cook (a little) has helped me to appreciate my food more, though I still avoid dad's cooking.

note: there were no incidents of food poisoning throughout our catering (as far as i know off). I'd also like to thank Michie S, Amanda T, Michelle T, Yvonne T, Yong W, Gloria O, Kenneth T, Bryan S, and Adrian S for helping out (i really appreciate you guys!). Thanks also to everyone who actually paid to eat something I cooked =P.

4. Proudest sporting achievement this year:
I love sport. It's one of the things I do where I can shut everything out, and just focus on having fun, and seeking excellence (ok excellence is code for winning). Being able to laugh at yourself also helps. After missing a stack of chances at one weekly social game with the engineers (most of which graduated this year), yours truly came good in the last 20 mins, nabbing a hat-trick (including one low right-footed drive between the defender's legs into the far corner - now that was sweet). Having said that, that day I missed chances my grandmother could have put in blind-folded. Can't shoot for nuts.

5. Embarrassing sporting moment(s) of the year:
Also many to add to this list. Getting thrashed 6-0 by Annabel on a tennis court was humbling (All guys need one of those sooner or later - preferably later). So was getting smashed around a table tennis table by Amanda one day. Oh, and badminton players will of course have occasionally executed the Air-Smash, where two distinct sounds are heard: the whish of the racket swinging furiously and wildly, and the tok! of the shuttle landing neatly in the center of our forehead... the key is to be able to laugh at yourself

6. Music of the Year
I managed to add a fair few CDs to my collection this year. Highlights include a Goo Goo Dolls Greatest Hits album, with all their singles. 'Slide', and 'Here is gone' remain my favourite songs from them. Rush of Fools impressed me as well with their debut album featuring the addictive 'Undo'. And oh yeah, while the song actually came out in 2006, 'Oh Gravity!' by Switchfoot has the best intro of any song I've heard this year (well for my tastes anyways). And finally, I managed to get cheaply Santana's Supernatural and Shaman albums - great riffs. Did I tell you my brother and I will be at his concert next month? (thanks mum and dad =D)

7. Prank of the Year
April Fools this year was one where I polished my acting skills. I'll leave it at that.

8. The "Oh you evil B(*&ard" moment of the Year
The kind man who left a parking ticket on my car (2 minutes after I had left it for a quick haircut). Well actually I deserved it, but for sheer comedic timing (I eventually managed to find it funny), he deserves a mention =P.

Actually, I'm finding it hard to dredge up memories of people who have unmade my day - after all, most things can't be as bad as being nailed on a tree, can it? And if He can forgive, I can.

9. Highlights
One highlight (pun intended) was getting my hair dyed an awesome shade on a dare, and seriously surprising the dare(er?) when I rocked up at a youth service with the hair-change. Apparently I was "damn BENG lah!" (according to many cell members, and O-Chin)

Crossfire - J-life's annual camp, which I had the chance to help out at. It was an amazing time of God just touching lives, and bringing breakthroughs. Probably the best camp comm I've worked with. Thanks God =)

Another highlight: Dave's wedding - you had very nice hair colour Dave =P, and thanks for having me as your best man. It's been an absolute privilege. Actually it was quite amazing being there. The boy whom I used to play Sonic and spar at Mortal Kombat with, who taught me how to fix up a PC, and in general one of the coolest guys I know is now all grown up and happily married to a very sweet lady. I wish you both all the best in the many years coming ahead, Dave and Nechelle (and "work hard").


The final highlight - catching up with old friends from Canaan (Joshua, Prakash, Joyce, Jeremy, Ian... the list goes on - it was so great to be able to meet up again), my family, and especially my grandmother during my last trip back home. Means more than words can describe.


10. Goals for 2008

  • To be a better son/brother/cousin/friend
  • To be a better cell leader. To serve my ministry better.
  • To play the guitar more (and write better songs)
  • To live right. To not compromise on my beliefs even under pressure.
  • To trust God more, even when the chips are down.
  • To study hard and well (usual Asian answer: to make my parents proud lah)...
Actually, it can all be wrapped up into one thing. I want to get closer to God. To be a man after God's heart. And I trust Him knowing that He'll make my paths straight.

3 comments:

amandany-c said...

Hey,

I'm extremely surprise to meet ya here :)

Manda
Jeremy's fren @ David's wed

DaSinner said...

hi Amanda!
I really enjoyed catching up with u guys in KL. Haven't seen some of the ppl from Canaan in years
btw why so surprised? =P

amandany-c said...

I've added ur link to my bloggie :) yeah yeah!

cause so happened click here click there finally arrived to confessions of a teenage bloke :P