Wednesday, August 06, 2008

pre-emptive homesickness

After some haphazard preparations... I'm flying off to Glasgow on the 3rd of September. I can't believe it's just a month away.

I feel ambivalent about leaving. It's going to be a GREAT experience, but on the other hand, I'm going to miss absolutely everyone here (that's right, including those annoying people who nevertheless still give me something to talk about). Is this what its like to be an overseas student?

I decided not to preface this post with "its been a while since i last blogged" - after all, i'm not ashamed of blogging infrequently. Also, it gets boring =)

Led worship for the first time last Sunday. I've never been so nervous before. I couldn't sleep the night before to be honest, and after practice on that morning, my nerves were shot. The fact that I had to make a 15 minute detour to Wilson also didn't help. Nor did driving 30km/h over the limit just to get to church 10 minutes late.

However, in this i'm pretty grateful for Joseph, who inspired us all with a brief pep talk at 9:59am. Ultimately it comes down to this - you can let the circumstances dictate your attitude to God, or you can worship in spite of the circumstances. All I wanted to do was just worship. The band backed me up, and I really believe our hearts for God just shone through the service.

I've also realised that I'm a really lucky person. A man is lucky if he can go through life and have 2-3 good friends throughout. I have people who will (and have) stick (stuck) by me through the thick and thin and I'm extremely grateful for that. You know who you are.

Anyways, till the next time I blog, I'll leave u with this picture:

Sitting in the kitchen, Mum and I heard a nature documentary on the TV, and thought dad was engrossed in it (he was sitting on the couch). Highly surprising, given the aforesaid program did not contain much fight scenes, gunfire or sport.*

Anyways, our hopes were slightly crushed as we walked into the lounge. Turns out my camera interrupted his nap** =)

Love you Dad

* Believe me, I have a high respect for my dad. However, this is a man who can't stand movies with dialog scenes > 10 minutes. He likes Bruce Willis - need I say more?

** The pink object is my sister's stuffed rabbit, nothing more.


2 comments:

Lemuel Yee Ngan Foong said...

Hey! Are you Yew Keong (I forgot how to spell your name)?

Anyway I found your comment on David Lim's blog. I was just fumbling about online and decided to "catch up" with some friends (interesting how we keep up with each other these days... blogs...)

Anyway nice to know your blog. Will try to keep myself updated. You can feel free to drop by my blog. Incidentally there will be a video posted soon on how to play better as a worship band, I'm drafting the post now, should be up very, very soon.

Congratulations on getting your first opportunity to worship lead. Maybe they just want to let you do it once and then get you to leave (for Scotland)! Anyway, first time is always tough, but after you've done it for many years, it gets hard in another way. It can become just like any weekly routine. But keep your spiritual life in check and remain faithful, I believe God can carry us through dry times.

I'm now excited about the worship ministry in Canaan Church. Technically there is not much difference but there has been a change on the part of the people's hearts. I'm excited and anticipate the the service. Also looking to improve myself further by upgrading my accoustic guitar. Looking at the big daddy of accoustic guitar - a Taylor. Would also consider a McPherson. Got any for sale? =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Nic,

Worship was good on Sunday :) You did a terrific job.

Oh, I went to the hairdresser's the other day and the stylist was from Scotland. We ended up having a decent conversation and I realised you'd probably have to listen to a lot of the accent when you get to Scotland. It is quite hard to understand at first :)