Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I'll take it as a compliment

I had a rather frantic day today, with my regular 10-1 lecture, followed by a good lunch with DW, and then, having to rush via TransPerth to my orthodontist for an appointment at 2:45. Anyways, after the bus stalled along Canning Highway, I ended up being about 10 minutes late.

Reason for the appointment?
My retainer, having been left out in the open for a day had shrunk. I have no idea how or why. But yeah, I discovered this on Sunday night, after (foolishly) trying to put it on, despite its abjectly obvious minuteness (this will invite a cry of "big mouth!" from any smart alec reading this blog).

So anyway, I strolled into the office, to be greeted by the receptionist, and then Dr Gan's (a middle-aged, thin Asian lady with short hair and glasses) first words are:

"Wow I like your hair! Where do you get it cut? I want mine cut like that too!"
Dr Gan proceeds to complain to me about how her hair is too heavy at the front or something along those lines...
And then...

"Not bad. A soft perm and dye! Where did you get it done? I want my hair like that" (All this in a thick Singlish accent)

She then takes my impression (for my mouth). I doubt she listens, because she tried asking me a question when my mouth was in a mould. It was rather funny for all concerned - well except for me given it "mmmghhh" isn't likely to be a satisfactory representation of how I was feeling re my teeth.

So maybe i need another haircut. She didn't believe me when I said I had never got my hair permed (in dreams or reality). It's just the way it is. I'm trying to work out whether the whole sequence (having a middle-aged lady admire and want to get your haircut) was meant as a compliment or not.

Oh yeah, and I did get the new retainer.

No comments: