Friday, August 31, 2007

Merdeka

Happy 50th Birthday Malaysia -

It isn't perfect, far from it. But every country has its struggles and idiosyncrasies.
Over 50 years, it's definitely gone places. If you don't believe me, talk to anyone over 40. I'm proud of my country's achievements. Passport aside, I still consider myself proudly Malaysian - a mere document cannot change what's written inside of me - Merdeka remains a powerful word 50 years on. It's funny but though i obviously wasn't there then, it still resounds within - Freedom

As we look back at 50 years of independence, and as all isn't well back home; its tempting to focus on the negatives, and blame others - but this won't help. True, others may be to blame for the less-than-perfect situation back home, and some injustices may seem entrenched, but every human has a choice in how he/she responds to each and every situation that confronts him/her. I'm choosing to pray for my country, and to act, live and hope for the best.
Why? Because I love my homeland.

To the next 50 years.

No comments: