Friday, February 08, 2008

Happy New Year

First and foremost, Happy Chinese New Year to everyone who reads this blog =)

Being in Perth, CNY is celebrated with a little less joie de vivre than back home, but I did manage to get into some food action over the weekend, with a reunion dinner at my uncle's place. What did I do on the day itself? Sat an exam...

For those of you not in the know, I've been sitting a summer unit for the last 5 weeks, and now only a 7-page research assignment stands in the way of my summer holidays. Having said that, it is worth 50% and thus probably needs some effort.

On another note, on my last trip to KL, I told some of you guys that Perth is bone-dry during the summer, and it never rains. How wrong I was. It absolutely poured yesterday and the day before as well... In fact, it was almost Malaysian standard (couldn't see beyond 10m when i was driving yesterday noon). This prompted several realisations:

  • Perth drivers (particularly the elderly) are particularly dangerous... I was doing 70km/h towards the library, when an old lady pulled out 20m in front of me. I obviously had no chance of stopping, and thus had to swerve ever so wildly to the next lane... the sad thing is i actually had my lights on, and yet she pulled out ever so slowly. I felt so sorry for her i didn't even use my horn.
  • Australia may be a 1st world country, but its public drainage isn't exactly the best. Apparently there were floods in Sydney after just one day of rain...
  • I need to get a move on. This isn't strictly related to the rain, but I was lying in my bed last night, and I realized that i really need to just take opportunities in my life. The notion actually kept me awake for a while. I've probably been a bit too apathetic this summer.
so that's it for me, for now...
have a good one everyone.

ps: the exam went ok.

No comments: