Sunday, November 16, 2008

Confirmed tail ender

After a mad few weeks of assessments, this week finally returned to normal... after Wednesday's Medieval Legal History exam. Have had a quiet weekend, just doing some reading (for fun) and playing cricket. We had our last game for the season today as some of the guys are returning to India/Singapore.
Back row (L-R) - Sharath, Newton, Nishit, Fazi, Afaar, Alinda, Ram, Pradeep, Hasan. Front row - Omar and I

There's nothing quite like being the only Aussie guy in an Indian cricket game. Chasing 65 from just 8 overs, the last game was a foregone conclusion. I'd watched a succession of wickets fall in front of me, and I was the last batsman left. I needed oh, about 30 runs from 12 deliveries.

The recent Australia-India Test matches come to mind - 8 Indian fielders (including one guy with a helmet) surround the Aussie tail-ender*. An off-spinner stares him down from the other end. Talk about pressure eh? We weren't going home until I got out.

I have the dubious honour of being the last wicket taken for the 2008 season:

.
I've got to work on that cut shot**.

What can I say? Indians love their cricket. Most of them are pretty good at it. They're friendly guys as well. All in all, the cricket experience, and getting to know some very friendly guys is something I'll remember fondly from my time in Glasgow.

If you guys are ever in Perth, do drop me a line =)

* for those less cricket-inclined, the tail end batsman is the worst batsman in the team. What this means is 2 things: (1) he normally bats last, when all the good batsmen are gone, and (2) fielders normally stationed near the boundary suddenly move a lot closer.

** Mis-hit cut shots have gotten me out twice in 2 days
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking foward to the next update!