Monday, November 03, 2008

Of driving

Having been in Glasgow for 2 months, one thing I do miss a lot is driving.

I find the act in itself quite therapeutic, and that's even before I get passengers on board. There's something about having 5 lives on your fingertips (before you even include pedestrians and other drivers) that just makes me want to put the pedal on the metal, and fly...

[looks back on what he's written]

I'll stop now before:
  • my parents take away the car
  • the govt takes away my licence
  • you all think I'm some kind of psycho... MUAHAHAHAHA!

Admittedly I miss my regular passengers - some who get in out of choice, and the vast majority out of necessity -
  • Brian, Ashley, cousins - they're family - if I don't drive them, they don't get anywhere =p
  • Keith and Natania - regular passengers - often participate in whatever crazy thing I decide to do in the car (eg start a water-fight with the Tangs' car whilst driving on Mts Bay Road)
  • Russell - can sleep in my car. Witness of the infamous indecisive skid at the Ranford Rd/Bannister Rd traffic lights...
  • Kristine - complains about my driving and yet keeps getting into the car - I think you're a daredevil in disguise =)
  • Amanda - who'll only get into my car when she's dead tired or has no car - "Nic... there are some ... unappealing aspects about your driving"
  • The OD girls - basically I end up hearing high-pitched girly conversations from UWA to Broadway.
  • The Tangs - I'll quote Michelle on this: "I can sleep when Nic's driving... because I drive like this too"
Oh wait... I just realised that all my passengers get in my car out of necessity
Circa 2006 - Brian praying furiously as I raced from Banjup to Nedlands in 15 mins, including a petrol stop.

I have a few things to say in my defence:
  • I haven't actually got into a prang yet (though not for want of trying). I'd attribute that to reflexes.
  • I'm quite safety-oriented - I always insist that all my passengers wear seatbelts, and always have an eye on the rear mirror (for cops)
  • I would never do anything I wouldn't do if I were driving alone.
  • Majority of passengers surveyed said my driving was a "[....] experience" - fill in the blanks yourself...
  • I'm actually really qualified to drive. Over-qualified in fact. I'd tell you why, but I'm keeping it for future sermon material
  • Finally, I also park really well =)
    Circa 2008 - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3999078&op=4&o=global&view=global&subj=563231373&id=795785111
The good news is that I'll be back in January =)

Comments?




10 comments:

Unknown said...

Feel good......

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you.
I hope you'll have a nice holiday.

Anonymous said...

welll.....i'd say ur parking skills speak for themselves :P

Anonymous said...

you are pathetic

DaSinner said...

To Kristine: admittedly I still hate parallel parking... but I drive a larger car than most of you guys =)

To Anonymous: I'm not as pathetic as someone who doesn't even dare to put his/her name behind a comment. Stand behind your words man.

amandany-c said...

UR PARKING SKILLS * THUMBS UP!!!

and i love white cars :)

DaSinner said...

Thanks Amanda =)
You really like white cars??

Anonymous said...

i will never forget the parallel parking experience in NB. Never again man, never again. Just wait till next year, I'll be driving the big Camry or Aurion. I'll start complaining haha

amandany-c said...

yaya!!! sexy!!! :P

amandany-c said...

yaya!!! sexy!!! :P