Saturday, May 19, 2007

I've just finished watching the FA Cup final. it happened again. United dominate extra time, and lose to a late... late goal... am i crushed? Definitely. Defeats hurt. But in the big picture, we've won the league... so it doesn't matter that much.

It's amazing how much emotion goes through watching a game of soccer: anticipation (Rooney picks up the ball on the run), hope (when the ultimate super-sub Solskjaer comes on), cynicism (when Robben "falls"), injustice (i swear THAT ball crossed the line) Heartbreak (cue in Drogba's goal)... yeah. the best part is going through that whole gamut of thoughts, and trying to realize that its just a game. at the end of it, whether my team wins or loses, it really wont affect my life in a really significant manner.

The scary thing is that there are ppl who take very seriously sportsperson halfway across the world winning/losing a game. I can refer you to the example of Andres Escobar, whose own goal in the 1994 World Cup led to Colombia's elimination. He was shot dead back home. There's probably some other issues there which led to his murder (his death was probably associated with large-scale gambling), but generally, who among us (i refer to us guys - have to admit girls are more logical about this =P) has never sworn or thrown something at a TV after seeing someone do something remarkably stupid played out on a sports field?

Which gets me thinking: why do we sometimes invest so much effort/emotions into things which really, at the end, don't matter? To escape a mundane reality? To be a part of something larger than yourself?

I remember a portion from the book Wild at Heart which alludes to why people might follow sport. We all want to be a part of a bigger picture. We all seek significance in some way... and sometimes we try to find it in being part of a winning team. I support Manchester Utd. We're a good team. We play good, flowing attractive football. Notice the "We". I've never played at Old Trafford. I've never even met any of the team, and yet immediately there's that association. I support a winning team. Therefore I'm a winner. And when they lose, am I a loser?

I've been listening to a Delirious CD, and there's a point when the lead singer goes "If we'd all just admit, that we all want to be winners here"... and he goes on and speaks of God. He speaks of how "there's a song the angels have been singing since the dawn of time... " and it is this: "Holy is the lord". And as I recall that now, I've just realized that sometimes we seek our significance in things which will fade away. One day, Sir Alex will retire, and United will go back to being an average team, which I'll continue to support ardently. One day, i will no longer be able to get away with dyeing my hair (refer you to my dad). One day, i will run into someone smarter, faster, funnier, stronger ... etc etc. For some of us, we've reached that point... where we sense that we're not that special after all. We're not the best. We're just normal people. Insignificant

But here's the thing. There's a greater story going on out there. It transcends sport. It goes beyond our daily routines, beyond our relationships. There's more to life than life, so to speak. As the song goes... "And I've found myself in You [God]". I want to live life that way. I cant say I'm at that point now, but i want to live my life in that place. That place where i find myself, my worth in where I am with God. That place where I'm part of a deeper story written by the One who made us. Where I stop striving to earn my significance, but where I start living in the significance of what God has done.

"so take me to that place / where i can see your face
cause all i want to do / and all i want to do is worship you" ("Found")




3 comments:

princessRachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

what's this. ARSENAL ROCKS? no way!! everyone knows that =p haha

hi nic nic (: *smiles sweetly*

rae

DaSinner said...

arsenal rocks...
but not as much as United =P
Besides... where was that comment from? A tad unrelated to the post =)