Thursday, May 10, 2007

maybe i'm a little too competitive....

Just got home from uni... good day today. Skipped my 12pm Micro lecture to go do some shopping (secret business). Got to uni, worked on the thesis presentation a little bit (15 min presentation tomorrow morning - i really should be doing it now =P), and then went to my TIIE lecture.

There's nothing quite like a 3 hour lecture, with a pitifully short 10 minute break in between to make you realise how tiring writing can really be, and how unfortunately boring class can be. luckily the 2nd half was just presentations... so it wasn't all bad.

Also spent the day discussing with friends how my hair should be cut. For those not in the know, i'm getting my hair cut with Yong tmr... at Eternity Hair Salon (recommended by Kevin - i'll tell u how it goes). and no. it's not a gay thing. Guy bonding time =P...

I've realised in the last few days i actually have several fashion consultants i can go to haha. Yong for hair and clothes stuff, Kevin for recommendations as to places to get things done, and Michie... to prevent me from doing anything stupid. i guess i can add Amanda to this list because she tells me when I've been wearing the same shirt too many times (coming from a girl who couldn't pick what my favourite shirt was - but that's another story).

But that's not the point of the post. Lately, i've realised that when i'm playing games... i get a little competitive. I played soccer today with some engineering guys, and Richie... and all was going well (was doing my not-so-good impression of a fullback rampaging down the right wing - think a better-looking Dani Alves, with miles less skill =P), until i decided to get into several tackles. In soccer, there are these things called 50-50 balls, where the ball is loose in between players from opposite teams, and there's equal chance of getting the ball. Generally... he who is bravest gets the ball, and hopefully one of the two (or possibly 3-4) players running towards the ball will pull out (Think of the game "chicken" on the soccer field).
So normally, i go into a tackle, and the other guy will either:
a. pull out of it, so i steal the ball
b. if he's bigger than me, stand his ground - i get... flattened
c. if he's the same size as me, also go for the ball...
see, in (a) and (b), no-one gets hurt (well i get hurt in (b), but that's besides the point - i asked for it). in (c)... hehe

So anyways, Richie had mistakenly allowed the ball to bounce away from him. I dashed in, and as i stuck a leg out to kick the ball, he stuck his leg out, knocking the ball away from me. Due to the laws of physics (momentum), my already outstretched leg kicked the bottom of his foot. i then, carried by momentum flew towards him (i had ran full tilt to get to the ball). Realizing impact was imminent, i stuck an arm out to protect myself. My elbow cracked him solidly on the forehead. We both went down (he was a lot worse off). It was a solid hit.

That wouldn't have been so bad, if i hadn't also contrived to later on, chasing another 50-50 ball... run into him. this time i got the ball first (no foul =P). There was a nice clash of heads... and a nice fall onto the ground. i quote Richie: "i cant believe this is happening again". It's actually the 3rd time I've collided with him. Last week, we were both battling for the ball again, when he contrived to head-butt me in the chest (a la Materazzi). so yeah... Sorry Richie!
(as a note - maybe next time, we should stay on the same team =P)

there was meant to be a conclusion to this... and this is it.

2 comments:

Monika said...

Hey. your blog is very interesting! can we link our blogs? please write back in my blog "everyday glamour" ( theres a shoutbox) but if you write a comment- that would be much better!
This would be nice!

David Lim said...

hehe.. so u like dashing for 50-50 balls eh? Hmm.. maybe I need to be more competitive too..

btw, you've been TAGGED. See my blog for details.. (okay, this IS somewhat childish)..