Wednesday, December 03, 2008

What I did today (the day after)

100 - I realise that the reason I can't sleep is because I'm worried about exams. Get up and study for another 45 minutes, covering Jurisdiction in Contract and Delictual Cases. Head back to sleep.

800 - My personal alarm wakes me up. I snooze her =P

830 - Get up for real after the alarm wakes me up again. She's irrepressible, thank God.

930 - Prepare to skate to uni. Realise with relief that there's less ice today. Walk instead.

1005 - European Legal History Tutorial - free mince pies given by Dr Finlay. Feel slightly more relaxed about the upcoming exam (not due to the pies).

1100 - After the tutorial, I head to the library for some more IPL - this time covering choice of law in marriage (after checking sports news)

1305 - Jurisprudence tutorial. If you're wondering why I'm always late to classes, it's because unlike in Perth, classes start at 5 past and end 5 before the hour.

1335 - Tutorial finishes early as some ppl didn't make it to give their presentations. I face a tough decision: do I gym or do I study? Common sense unfortunately takes a back seat and I begin the walk to the Stevenson Building (Gym). Meet Mutinko (find out, amongst other things that he has a cousin in Perth and that he's a Christian).

1530 - Leave gym. Didn't really work out that hard today. Did the chin-ups, shoulder, chest, triceps and biceps. But didn't really feel 'in' today. Was grappling with a headache (and residual soreness from the night before). So... hmm maybe I've hit diminishing returns.

In response to Kristine:
  • Time spent in gym today: 100 minutes
  • Time spent studying thus far: 90 minutes.

1600 - Grab some afternoon tea - fixed a bacon and cheese omelette. Egg tally for the day: 3. Proceed to complete MLH Essay =)

1800 - Head to cell, guitar in tow. Slightly more slippery this time. Arrive, and practice for worship with Rachel (our budding pianist). She's come on leaps and bounds. Last week was only her first time, and today the improvement was tangible. Awesome for a girl who doesn't have a piano to practice on.

Songs for the day:
  • All who are thirsty (G) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oCwDtSFMjdw&feature=related
  • You are my world (G) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gX36X1lTjiw
  • In Christ Alone (C) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dDCdGPJQ-hM

Got piano, will play

1900: Have dinner (we all take turns to cook). This week it was Wei Yao's turn. On the menu: spaghetti and Ikea meatballs - not bad, except that I'd had spaghetti twice in the last 3 days. Needless to say, I didn't take the leftovers.
My poser of a cell leader =)

1930: Cell starts... no need to say much la. It was another good meeting =).

Gordon first got our thoughts re the semester just gone by and shared re future plans. We discussed what a church we would want to go to would look like:
And no - i wasn't the one who suggested 'good looking ppl' [Jason]

Wei Yao then shared from Mark 4:26-7. Turns out the passage isn't just evangelistically-focused. The seed is also God's word in our hearts. The first chapter of the gospel of John describes the word as made flesh. In other words - Jesus is that seed in our hearts.

As Wei Yao was sharing, I realised something. Seeds need to be buried underground, in the darkness, under pressure from the surrounding soil to grow. To grow, they must fight gravity and head towards the sun. I realise that that's kind of like us. God gives us a word/promise, and often life will bury us straight after. It's so easy to crumble under that pressure.

The thing is, without pressure, there can be no growth. Eg gymming - muscle growth is impossible without some form of resistance. In any case, there's life even in that dark. Jesus lives inside us. And the promise from this passage is that even if we don't know it (for whether the farmer sleeps or gets up), we're growing as long as He's with us.

Pastor Gordon (the white guy figuring out his moble) and Caleb

This was Jason's last cell with us as he heads back to Sg on Saturday. Unfortunately I can't catch up with him there as he returns to Glasgow on the 6th. Will miss you mate. Take care and I hope next sem is better for you =)
He needs a haircut more than I do =P

2230: Wei Yao sends me and Rachel back. There ends another great day in Glasgow =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, good to know that you spend 10% more time at the gym then studying :P