Saturday, September 06, 2008

3 September - nearly a flight from hell.

After getting sent off by my parents and Yong and Michie, the flight from Perth to Glasgow started at 3:50pm Perth time, and culminated at 9:10am Glasgow time. I was bedraggled after the flight. Despite my pre-departure prayer.

Having lost an argument to Mum, I carried two pieces of hand carry luggage. Simple yes? Nevertheless, the increase in global terrorism means increased airport security. For me, it meant that at all 3 transit stops (Perth, Singapore, and Amsterdam), I had to remove my jacket, ipod, wallet, laptop, and drain my water. Was a tad embarrassing given it meant I held up the line for a good 10 minutes each time. It culminated at Schiphol (pronounced "schop-pel") Airport where, having nearly completely undressed, my boots set off the metal detector. Ever tried taking off boots quickly?

Oh and Changi airport was for some reason absent of air-cond - meant I reeked like a salted fish throughout the 13 hour flight to Amsterdam. I'd dressed thinking I was moving from winter (Perth) to autumn (Glasgow). Btw, the weather now's pretty similar to Perth.

Nevertheless, it wasn't all bad. Lest i sound like i'm complaining, most of the above events actually made me laugh quite a bit (after I'd arrived at my accomodation and taken a bath). Also, on the flight to Amsterdam (the 13 hour leg), I managed to get to know 2 of the guys sitting next to me - Derek P and Mark F, the former being a true blue Scotsman. Both were Aussie truckies in real life. They were hilarious. We had some hilarious discussions (Scottish words italicised)

me: I heard Glasgow's a pretty good place and the people are friendly.
D [looks quizzical]: No. [long pause] Wait... do yer drink?
me: Yeah
D: then yairss =)

And aside from the multitude of pubs in Glasgow, another thing I'll have to contend with is the accent.

me: D, could you teach me some slang?
D: Nae... even if i sporke to you all the way to Glasgow, I couldn't even start
me: Ahh... so how do i deal with it?
D [serious expression]: Don't say yes. Not until you're sure what you're hearing.

mind you, at times i struggled to make out what he was saying. Nevertheless, they were nice guys. They bought me a coffee (obviously it's quite easy to get on my good side).

Anyways... this is turning out to be a long post. Let's just say the journey from the airport to my accomodation wasn't straightforward either, owing to
  1. A road block
  2. A blur secretary running the Accommodation office
  3. My failure to get a proper address for where I was staying
  4. A very blur secretary
But on the other hand... at least the taxi driver got me there.

Today, I went out with some other overseas students - Markus L (Ger), Hannes K (Ger) and Vilde A (Nor). It was educational, as I learnt a new word at a place called Committee Room 9:

Tanqueray - pronounced "tan-ker-ri" with the last 2 syllables rushed.
"Tanqueray & tonic" is synonymous with another famous beverage that also goes with tonic. Was cheap too, at 2pounds a hit.

But rest assured, I'm not becoming an alcoholic. I'm just trying to keep Guinness in business.

No comments: