Saturday, September 06, 2008

Cooking

One of the fun parts about living overseas is that you tend to cook often (to save $$$ for traveling around). Breakfasts aside, I've had to cook 2 meals thus far. Why don't breakfasts count? I could cook them with my eyes closed =P. Breakfast is one of those things men should naturally be able to do. Can't be that hard to fry an egg - well actually wait...


So on my first night, I pan-fried some salmon, and stir-fried long beans and garlic (along with some rice). The cooking was going fine, until i reached for some salt to cook the salmon with.






Then I realised that the plastic covering over the salt shaker (it was brand new) was quite tight. Unfortunately, the pan was getting too hot, and I was in a hurry (some other stuff was starting to burn). Rather than taking my time and getting a knife, I tried to rip it off... and successfully got a sea of sea salt over the kitchen.



Other than that though, tasted alright (aside from the soggy rice). I learnt some valuable lessons:
  • To pan-fry salmon successfully, it needs to be well lubricated with olive oil and the pan must be flamin' hot.
  • To get the skin crispy, coat it with salt (hence my accident) prior to frying (stole that idea from Chinese roast pork).
  • Most importantly - I should never multitask.

So that was the first night. Tonight I felt more adventurous and attempted dad's signature pork dish: pork belly with sweet ginger and garlic sauce. Basically involves a nice long simmer of the sliced pork belly with sugar, kicap hitam and the rest of the ingredients. Easy - but takes time and you have to make sure the pork's cooked. Came out good (if I say so myself).


So while it was simmering, I figured I'd make a beef stew. Let's hope it turns out alright - it's still cooking away now. Note to self: add some flour tomorrow to thicken. Also, buy some herbs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow....i'm amused.....u admit you cannot multi task :P hmmm...i wonder how it applies to talking while driving :P haha

anyways, good to hear that you've settled well in Scotland. There is a new nurse starting at work on Monday and she's from Scotland....This will be interesting...haha

Take care and have fun! :)