Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Paranoia

Today's MLH lecture started with our lecturer mentioning the formative essay. I may be paraphrasing, but if so I apologise in advance for any negative interpretation anyone may make. After all, I don't intend to commit a libel against anyone.

You may wonder why I started this post with that clause... let me restart:

Today's MLH lecture started with our lecturer mentioning the formative essay.

"It's generally a good habit to hand in the essays on time"
so far so good... i thought - after all, I handed it in on the revised deadline of Monday

"Rather than simply posting about them on your blog"
I'd swear that he looked directly at me when he made this statement. Mind started running at a rate of knots...

I suspect the percentage of students who blog in that class (there's less than 20 of us) is fairly low. I also suspect that the percentage of students in that class who were as aware of the law of defamation such as to mention their lecturer in a post is significantly lower.

Maybe I could be paranoid. After all (and I checked this later in the Workshop), there's no direct link from my student data to this website; and I suspect Dr Finlay has better things to do with his time than Googling his students. In any case, looking at the post, I don't think I libeled him

Another possibility presents itself: my lecturer uses Facebook =)

Sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts - William S. Burroughs



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or maybe he Googled himself...:P