Monday, October 20, 2008

Someone's looking out for me

God's awesome. Did you know that?

I was at a pretty low point over the weekend, having to grapple with my studies, finances, and worries about cell and church back home. I couldn't sleep last night, in fact. I'm one of those people who lies in bed thinking at night. Last night, there was just so much to think about that i just couldn't rest. Compounding it, I'd had one of those weeks where a lot of the small aspects of life which you take for granted decide to go wrong (eg a bike chain slipping off the gears - twice). Almost like death from a thousand cuts =P

Eventually, around 1-2am, I got up, went on my knees and prayed. There was just nothing else to do. I just went to God with my worries .

Today started like any other Monday in Glasgow. Woke up at 8am, fixed breakfast and went to class. To be honest, I didn't feel like gymming today but went out of force of habit. I came home pretty tired, and finished off last night's dinner - beef stew with carrots, celery, onion, spring onion, garlic, ginger, tomato and lettuce =)

Some of the guys from GCCC had asked me to play badminton tonight. To be honest, at 3pm, I was so tired I wanted to pull out. Instead, I figured I needed to defuse and so at 740pm, Vong (one of the guys from GCCC) picked me up (it was freezing outdoors) and we set off to the Scottish Badminton Centre.

Looking back now - that was ridiculously fun. Don't get me wrong - I played pretty badly. We all played pretty badly (except Wei Yao, who's several classes above us). But we had some hilarious rallies (including one where at every shot, the sound of racket frames rang loud), and it was just great to laugh, and hang out.

A piece of advice: Don't gym before badminton - doesn't help you when you're looking for that extra few percent of effort.

After the game, Vong fetched me back. On the way I mentioned that I was planning to hike up Ben Nevis this weekend. Upon hearing that, Vong insisted on detouring to his place and giving me some safety equipment (ie a safety bag, and a whistle). We ended up hanging out at his place for a while.

On my part, it was great just to be able to relax and talk to someone. Also (and don't laugh too hard here), he even gave me a jar of this stuff:

I'm sitting in my room reflecting on my day now, and I've just realised that sometimes God will just cheer you up through sending people at the right time. Random acts of kindness aren't actually so random after all - often they're God-inspired, no matter how random they seem at the time (a jar of kaya?).

The next time you feel you should do something to help someone...


Jokes aside, I'm absolutely serious on this point. Let God use you as His hands and feet. You'll be surprised at the impact.

I'm inspired because my God cares.

Amen.

No comments: